- Download amd64fre_GRMRSATX_MSU.msu from Microsoft Downloads.
- Run and follow the prompts.
- The installer goes out to Windows Update to download and install an update that adds Remove Server Administration Tools into the Windows features section (Control Panel/Programs and Features/Turn Windows features on or off/Installed Updates).
- Drill down into Remote Server Administration Tools/Role Administration Tools/AD DS and AD LDS Tools/AD DS Tools, check AD DS Snap-ins and Command-line Tools, and apply.
- Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools and run Active Directory Users and Computers
amd64fre_GRMRSATX_MSU.msu will not install with the following error:
Installer encountered an error: 0x80070422
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
and from the Event Viewer (System):
Windows update could not be installed because of error 2147943458 "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it." (Command line: ""C:\Windows\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Temp\amd64fre_GRMRSATX_MSU.msu" ")
- Make sure the Windows Update service is enabled